Friday, July 25, 2014

THIERRY LACOSTE 2: CONFLICT OF INTEREST





December 2005

On retainer to Prince Albert of Monaco


I presented myself at Lagardere Media in Paris for an 8:30 breakfast meeting with Jean-Luc Allavena (JLA), chosen by the Prince to become his new chief of staff. 

As I stood at the open French windows of JLA’s expansive office and admired a view of golden sunlight upon the Arc de Triomphe, I wondered if this poor fellow knew what the heck he was getting into, moving from a high-powered corporate job in one of the world’s most beautiful cities to a cutthroat royal court inside a gossipy, malicious hurricane of exploiters, working for a man who cared more about his next date than affairs of state.

JLA’s last day in this office would be the following week.  

A secretary brought in breakfast:  coffee, orange juice, croissants, brioche, butter and jam. 

I provided JLA with our dossiers on the Chandler brothers, Jean-Paul Carteron, Dan Fischer/Francu, Umar Jabrailov, and the Freemasons, including a list of Monegasque Masons.

JLA requested our finished report on Franck Biancheri by December 8th.

With regard to Philippe Narmino:  he had already blackened the name of the current Chief of Judicial Services and jostled him out of position to make room for himself, expecting his own appointment to that top job any day.

With reference to SIGER:  its officers operated in fear of retribution for investigating corrupt government officials.  They needed protection, insulation, and autonomy to investigate without fear of losing their jobs or being transferred to traffic control.  They needed greater powers to inspect records and question suspects and witnesses.  

JLA concurred.

I briefed JLA on our liaison partnerships with the CIA, SIS, and DST, and our program to cultivate relationships with other intelligence services.

I also warned JLA about Thierry Lacoste’s conflicted interests in Monaco.  

JLA assured me that while Lacoste had been the Prince’s lawyer and confidante in the past, he would now return purely to his role as lawyer.  

I had my doubts.

From JLA’s offices, I walked to DST headquarters across the River Seine.  

Thierry Matta welcomed me onto the locked thirteenth floor for a substantive discussion on a number of issues.



No comments:

Post a Comment